Sunday, May 25, 2014

Theme On

My mom sent me an email a few days back, talking about pursuing a “theme” as opposed to pursuing a “dream.”  That statement impressed me, and got me to thinking about the implications. I have struggled for some time with this very subject, but the whole theme vs. dream statement turned the light on for me.


I am, as a follower of Jesus Christ, instructed to “seek first the Kingdom of God.” That is a pretty big kingdom, and that statement doesn’t really give me instruction for the day-to-day living. Also, I am to do good works, which God has planned for me in advance (Eph 2:10). That is a little more specific, but I may not know which good works I should put my time and energy into, because the world is full of hurting, damaged people who should have someone help them. I know that God directs my steps, so I know that I should (and mostly do, but not always) ask for His guidance every day, and with every decision. I read a book some time ago called “Practicing His Presence.”  This book explained the impact realized (by the author) by essentially talking to God all day, throughout every activity, before every decision, basically behaving as if Jesus was physically right there with him all of the time, counseling, consoling, advising, encouraging. That actually works very well, but it is hard to maintain. I am also instructed to pray continually 1 Th 5:17, which to me sounds a lot like the concept in “Practicing His Presence.” But, in Romans 8:26 it actually states that we may not actually know what to pray for. Well, that’s a big help.

So, my dilemma has been this: I achieve goals (dreams) by pursuing them. Taking all actions and making all decisions with that dream in clear focus. Read any of the millions of motivational books and you will see that this is the key to achieving YOUR dreams. And it actually works pretty well. But, as you have probably heard before, you  may work very hard to climb the ladder but when you finally get to the top you realize it was leaned against the wrong wall. Wow! Think of pursuing your life’s dream for 20-30 years only to find out it wasn’t YOUR dream, but it was your worst nightmare. Bummer. Or, maybe, years later in Heaven God shows you what  you could have done with all that effort-if you put it into His plan. I'm stressing just writing this.

So, what do I do? Wander about, live in the moment, have no dreams, hopes or goals, pray all the time (but not knowing what to pray for) and just see how it all pans out and deal with it?

I don’t think so.

This is where “theme” comes in. I now think I’m starting to get it, it has only taken me 53 wonderful years to “get it,” because I’m slow. The real focus is “what is my theme” rather than “what is my dream.”  By living by the correct theme, I can achieve the dream that God has planned for me. I don't have to know the end game, I have to know what to do now, today.  He is the one to direct my steps, so He knows where I should walk. I just need to walk ( not run, scamper, wander, limp, nap) according to the theme He has placed in my heart.

I’ve had some very excellent “luck” in my career life, but as I look at my life honestly I see that my “luck” would not have been so “lucky” had I not stuck with my theme for living, career-wise at least. What principles guide my thoughts, beliefs, words and actions? By the way, I learned to not underestimate the power of beliefs.  I read in a book by John Eldridge recently that principles are not enough, that a daily walk/conversation with God is an absolute necessity because life has so many twists and turns that navigating without damage is impossible without a guide.

I’m not going to go into my theme in much depth here because that is not important, your theme is what is important to you, and you reading this. Here are a few key points on my theme. 
1) Honesty is essential, and must be exercised in a manner which is not inconsiderate of others, and must be exercised in a timely manner (don’t let it fester). I’ve done the former MUCH better than the latter.
2) Put others needs before my own. I’m actually pretty good at that.
3) Place relationships at a higher priority than accomplishments. I miss that one about half of the time (see I’m Honest).
4) Be nice to animals, except mosquitoes, wasps and roaches.

That is all, I’m not sharing my “theme” any further because I realize I need to spend some more time figuring out what theme has driven me all these years. I think I’ve lived my theme as it relates to career much more so than as it relates to relationships.

The photo above is from my time at the lake today. The dog “photo-bombed” the picture I was taking to show my friend what they missed by not coming out with me today. Dogs are such fun. This one is named Evander. His owner tied a bottle to his collar, so he (Evander) spent much of the day picking up “another” bottle out of the water and placing it on the beach where it belonged.

In the words from the song by Aerosmith, Theme On.

3 comments:

Barb said...

waGlad that struck a chord with you, Ray. It is such a simple thing, it is easy to miss. I had never thought of it in such a nice, simple way before recently. But now that I think about it, it sounds a lot like what Jesus was trying to tell us about what to seek on earth and it relieves us of a great deal of 'world stress'........yes!

Barb said...

waGlad that struck a chord with you, Ray. It is such a simple thing, it is easy to miss. I had never thought of it in such a nice, simple way before recently. But now that I think about it, it sounds a lot like what Jesus was trying to tell us about what to seek on earth and it relieves us of a great deal of 'world stress'........yes!

Bro Bob said...

Your topics are always interesting. This one really gets all of us thinking about our own "Themes". Kudos to your mom too for bringing this to the forefront. Always appreciate your sense of humor too!