Sunday, April 7, 2019

Everything in Moderation, Except for your Calling

Over the last several years my work in photography and video production has enabled me to meet many interesting people. Entrepreneurs, artists, performers, musicians, and folks that have a drive or a calling that results in a different life path than that of "normal" folk.

It was after meeting many people, conducting many interviews and getting connected to this community of uniquely talented and driven people that I had a better understanding of why I always knew that I was "on the outside" and why "everything in moderation" was not my motto.

Lindsay-Marie-Istace

The trite but well-intended phrase "Everything in Moderation" is an oversimplification, and has limited application. Nothing worthwhile I have ever achieved was the result of moderation or a moderate, balanced level of effort. To the contrary, it was the result of the pursuit of a goal in a manner that required incredible effort, focus, sacrifice and enduring the pain needed to overcome the obstacles between myself and the goal. I know that sounds dramatic, but it is not, it is the truth. And, what I have achieved is actually very moderate and mainstream compared to many I have met over the last decade or so. It is only by my imagination and by learning about other folks over these past years that I am getting a clearer understanding of what it takes to live out your true purpose in life. Maybe I too will do that someday.

I should get to the point. The people that I see performing in our local venues, the people who run the businesses which we frequent, the people who are doing something different than working a normal 40-60 hour work week for a company with benefits have at least two things in common, no, at least three:
1. Something drives them to do their calling. They may try to ignore it, but they cannot.
2. They have a unique talent, and it aligns with their calling, it is what makes them feel alive.
3. They sacrifice essentially everything in order to pursue their calling.
4. They will pursue their calling with all they have, with no guarantee of a return on investment.
(I know, I said three things, but I wanted to add the fourth)

Bri Bagwell
Allow me to expand on item three above, which I believe is the second greatest stumbling block to success. Most of us see people on stage, or running a business, etc. and do not fully grasp what had to be sacrificed to be in that place. I am not talking about sacrificing one's morals, ethics, and similar aspects that form a person's core being. I am talking about sacrificing things such as, having time to relax with family on the weekend, having a puppy, cooking your own meals, sleeping in your own bed, having a boyfriend or girlfriend or spouse, driving the car you want, sleeping at least 8 hours on one night of the week, and the list goes on. And I am speaking as an outsider (always on the outside) so I only know what I am seeing, and experiencing in the pursuit of my own calling. I may be partially deaf, since I don't know that I've heard my calling yet.
Ted Nugent

The greatest stumbling block from my perspective is item four. There is a lot of work involved, in addition to the sacrifice, and there is no guarantee of success. To put it in perspective, I worked very hard to obtain my Engineering Degree, and then my Professional Engineering License in both Virginia and in Texas. That did require a lot of work, and considerable sacrifice, however the return on investment was fairly certain. It did pay off, and still does. Here is the punchline: My calling has something to do with photography and video production (I knew this before I was 12 years old) and though I did go to film school and I have invested incredible amounts of time and money and energy over the years there are two facts that have not escaped my attention, maybe three:
1. I can't "not" pursue photography and video production
2. Though I have worked and sacrificed, I've not done enough to be a success
3. I sacrificed my calling for a "guaranteed" return on investment
4. I still have not gone "all in" to pursue my calling (I know, I only said three facts, I thought of four)
Cody Kouba

So, my recommendation is to never be jealous nor resentful of people who are in the limelight, who are successful, or even those folks who are just getting all the attention in the Texas music scene (for example). They earned it. Note that I am aware of the dark side of fame, fortune and success, I am not addressing that aspect here, that is a different kind of "success." Oh, and if you do have emotional outbreaks of jealousy, as I do, then perhaps you have been trying to ignore your own calling. Perhaps.

Milan Blocks Photo

No comments: