Saturday, March 22, 2008

Its My Rife


As I mentioned in a previous post, I am working with a great team of people here in Thailand. The photo is several of the people in the team, enjoying drinks and dinner on the beach after a long Saturday of work.


One of the men in the group has the job of shuttling me between the jobsite and the hotel. It is a 40 minute drive and he speaks English fairly well, so we have gotten to know each other a bit. One evening on the trip to the hotel I asked if he wanted to listen to some music I had recorded on to CD. It turns out that he really loves one of the songs on the CD, "It My Life" by Bon Jovi. He also likes to sing. If you are familiar with Asians, you know that they pronounce the letter "L" more like "R" and the letter "R" more like "L." They can pronounce both sounds, but they switch them. So, "Its My Life" comes out as "Its My Rife." On the next evening on the way to dinner, he popped in the cd and cranked up the song. Imagine an American "singing" well above his range and a Thai attempting to sound like Bon Jovi. Fortunately for others we had the windows rolled up.

One thing about my rife that I am very grateful for, it is not boring.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Your 'rife' sounds very interesting there! You and your friend should try "Deck the Halls" (A Christmas Story!) Your evenings on the beach sound wonderful........Barb