Thursday, April 3, 2008

Buddha Soda



I noticed these colorful little buildings that were placed on the corner or roof of many private and commercial buildings. I started paying closer attention to the contents. One time I spotted an open bottle of soda, and thought that maybe a passerby had just set it there thoughtlessly. Then I noticed that many had open bottles of soda, and small bowls of food.


It turns out that these are buildings put in place to give the god(s) that inhabit that area of property a nice place to live, otherwise when you purchase, develop, and move into a property you are basically crowding out the emanations of Buddha that live there. So people provide housing, food and drink to provide hospitality to the god(s) that occupy that area. This act of kindness ensures protection and prosperity of that property, things will go well for the people who live or work on that property. That is how my friend here explained it to me.

It turns out that soda is the most popular drink offered to the god(s). Interesting. That is really all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based upon Buddha's rotund figure, it is obvious that the worshippers are not leaving diet soda for him! Clearly, he would have a tough time squeezing himself into one of those tiny little houses! Buddha may need to mend his self indulgent ways.

Isn't it interesting too how the people allow only a "little" space for their god in a corner or on the rooftop. Sadly this is the case with humans relating to the true and living God as well. People give Him only a little space in their lives, perhaps Sunday only... in some cases, no space at all!

DGW said...

Good points Bob. Interestingly enough, I found out that the Thailand-version Buddha is quite different than the one we Americans are familiar with-see my next post "Buddha Soda II."
At first I thought "that is great that these people want to honor their god so openly with prominent shrines." Then I found out it was not to honor their god(s) but to ensure favor from them. Similar to the concept I mentioned in another post about people using God's power to accomplish their own goals.
I like your observation about "only allowing a little space" for God. Hmmm.