Tuesday, April 1, 2008

'Scuse Me, While I Kiss the Ground


The title of this post is my own version of the line from the Jimi Hendrix song "'scuse me, while I kiss the sky." Which, by the way is often mis-stated (sung) as "'scuse me, while I kiss this guy."

Anyway, I found out recently that I prefer the ground rather than the sky. I had some time on Sunday to walk Pattaya beach and decided to ride the sky trolley up to the top of Pattaya Park Tower.

I figured out something just moments after the trolley started the ascent up the long cable leading to the top of the really tall tower-I am really afraid of heights!

I am not sure of the exact height of the tower, but by my estimation it is really, really, extremely tall. The photos you see give you some idea. Some people actually jump off suspended in a harness and go down the wire, or ride a small open cage and zoom down. I got weak-kneed just watching. I did not ride in the open cage you see here, I went in the totally enclosed cage-type trolley with a solid floor designed for old people, people with high-blood pressure, and scaredy-cats. In other words, people like me.

On the way down, as the trolley creaked and groaned its way down from the outer layer of the earth's atmosphere, all I could think of was "I want to stand on earth again, and when this thing touches down I'll be telling the trolley attendant "'scuse me, while I kiss the ground."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great arial shots! Probably good you didn't do the cable car ride though, especially in a country that may have a different perspective on longevity of life and cable car maintenance!

Never knew you were so big time into the music scene until I saw (and heard) you and Bill belt out a few numbers at the New Year's Eve get-together. You two were pretty good!