Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dead Man's Grocery


I was shopping at our local grocery store several days ago, and I was hit with something that I am still not quite sure how to process. Grocery stores, like elevators, shopping malls, etc. are usually filled with background music to create an "ambience" (pronounced Ahhm Bee Ahhns). As I went through the store putting my grocery items into my grocery cart I suddenly become aware of the music playing. They are playing "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo. This music, once considered cutting edge subversive punk rock is now being played in a grocery store!

Now, I happen to like this music, as I do some of the other music I notice they now play at the grocery store-such as Til Tuesday, The Cars, The Kinks, etc. But, how can this music now be considered "grocery store quality."

I saw Danny Elfman (Oingo Boingo) and Aimee Mann (Til Tuesday) mesmerize the audience at the Boathouse in Virginia, and now their music is in grocery stores? Is it because I have gotten terribly old, or have we just changed enough as a culture that punk rock and alternative rock are the music we listen to as we purchase our canned goods? I don't know, but I'm feeling pretty old right now. Maybe I should shop in a more conservative grocery store.

The photo is of Danny Elfman, lead singer (lead everything) for Oingo Boingo. This is just how he looked when I saw him at the Boathouse. Apparently the tank-top is his style. If you have watched a movie or television show over the last 20 years you have heard his music. He does numerous soundtracks, he is unique among the musical crowd. I still feel really old.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Well, I didn't recognize a name, group or song you mentioned....but then, I AM really old. I have no clue what they are playing in the stores, but I do usually 'enjoy the beat' and it moves me through the store. Of course, I like to chill to elevator music!
Barb